Monday, December 05, 2005

Jerks announce plan to bother people

Look, I'm not a religious guy, but I don't think of my self as an atheist, either. I don't really care what you choose to believe in or not believe in, so long as you're not thrusting it into my face constantly. I understand that some religious people do this a lot, but it seems to me like atheists do their fair share of the proselytizing these days.

For example, Instapundit linked today to a statement by Brian Fleming, a filmmaker whose most recent work is some sort of documentary that purports to show that Jesus never existed. That's fine, but check out what Fleming and his pals have in store for the holiday season:
Beyond Belief Media has formally declared war on Christmas, the December 25 holiday in which Christians celebrate the birth of the mythical figure Jesus Christ, the company announced today.

"Christian conservatives complain nonstop about the ‘War on Christmas,’ but there really isn’t any such war," said Beyond Belief Media president Brian Flemming , a former fundamentalist Christian who is now an atheist activist. "So we have decided to wage one, to demonstrate what it would look like if Jesus’ birthday were truly attacked."

As its opening salvo, Beyond Belief Media has purchased advertisements this week in the New York Times, USA Today and the New Yorker magazine. The company’s 300-member volunteer "street team" is also descending on Christmas-themed public events with random "guerilla giveaways" of Beyond Belief’s acclaimed DVD THE GOD WHO WASN'T THERE.

"No Christmas pageant or Nativity display is safe from our troops," said Flemming. "Wherever the mythical figure Jesus is celebrated as if he were real, we will be there with an information barrage. We will undercut the idea that there is any point at all to celebrating the ‘birth’ of a character in a fairy tale."
Gee, isn't that nice? And, really, what's the point here (other than an "edgy" publicity stunt)? They're certainly not going to win any friends or converts by doing this, and they're more than likely to piss any number of people off. People who were minding their own business and celebrating a holiday that has cultural as well as religious significance.

As James Taranto said today, "To the extent that there is such a thing as organized atheism, it seems to be about nothing other than getting in people's faces."

Happy Festivus, Brian Fleming. Leave me alone.

7 comments:

Muslihoon said...

Wait...they're outdoing us Mormons? Noooooo! Must...run...to...Salt Lake HQ!

You make a good point. My friend and I make fun of Evangelical atheists who can out-Evangelize Evangelicals.

Sean M. said...

There seems to be a lot of that going around, muslihoon.

Muslihoon said...

Thanks for the link! Quite interesting, and quite true: "Maybe atheists would have an easier time winning acceptance if they didn't act like such jerks all the time."

Anonymous said...

So. You haven't heard the good news?

Kidding. However, you asked for comments: ask and you shall recieve.

As far as the squirrel you referenced in the article goes, militant whatevers (Christians, athiests, name your religion) make my teeth ache. I've noticed that the great conservative writers who are atheists (e.g. SDB, Kim DuToit) have no problems living with overt public displays of Christianity, with the caveat of not having it rammed down their throats. I trust that if they can do it, so can anyone else with a fully functioning brain. Apparently Brian lacks such an item.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sean - new reader, come from AoS. I think I'll stay a while! :)

I have to agree with cranky-d, that anyone who's militant enough about their beliefs to shove them down the throats of others just frosts my posterior. But what's funny to me, as an Evangelical Christian myself, is that even the most liberal and militant of atheists generally accept that Jesus actually *lived*. Obviously they don't agree with me about who He was or what His life meant, but there is enough historical proof that He actually *existed* that anyone who claims he didn't is looked at as an uninformed (if zealous) idiot.

So what's the reaction going to be about Brian and his "troops", is what I want to know? :)

Sean M. said...

So. You haven't heard the good news?

I was just joking witha friend the other day, wondering if members of the Church of Satan go up to people and ask if they've heard the "bad news."

Muslihoon said...

I was just joking witha friend the other day, wondering if members of the Church of Satan go up to people and ask if they've heard the "bad news."

Oy! Gave me a much-needed chuckle! Thanks.