Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A couple of thoughts on the WBC final

I was glad to see that the Japanese team beat Cuba in the final game of the World Baseball Classic. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the players on the Cuban team are a fine bunch of guys who love playing baseball and feel honored to represent their country in front of the world, but a victory for the Cuban team would be a victory for Fidel Castro, the western hemisphere's worst tyrant, and I'm sure his regime would play it up as propaganda against the US and its allies.

Instead, one of our staunchest allies, a free and democratic society, prevailed, so that's great. I would have liked team USA to have come out on top, but like a man once said, you can't always get what you want. Such is life.

I'm going to be looking for reaction in the state-dominated Cuban press (if I can find it online, that is) to the loss. It wouldn't surprise me if there are complaints about cheating or meddling from US officials, since we're always the bad guys when it comes to Cuba. This is probably a good place to keep your eye on for that sort of thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am glad cuba lost too. but i am not glad japan won. i would rather the usa not sucked and won it all. baring that, i guess korea would have been a good second choice, except i hate chan ho park. so maybe the dr should have won...