Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Kaboom!

Some students in an adult education class in Ventura learned a valuable lesson recently. Namely, you shouldn't mess with artillery shells.
A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

[...]

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.
Well, I guess now he knows better, huh?

1 comment:

andy said...

this is sad, but i get the feeling i would have done the same thing, and gotten my hand blown off also.