Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Fitness is important

Man, I don't know how I could have missed this article yesterday, but it looks like the Chinese are striving to become just as crass as we are:
Treadmills are run-of-the-mill -- Luo Lan wants the Chinese masses to pole dance instead.

As manager of Beijing's first pole dancing school, Luo says she is trying to make exercise fun -- and not morally corrupt anyone in a country where this kind of dancing is associated with seedy bars and sex is still a taboo topic.

But she admits she has had a tough time convincing people that pole dancing, which has a celebrity following said to include pop star Britney Spears and heiress Paris Hilton, is great for your health.
Fancy that. I don't see why you'd have trouble convincing people to try something that Britney Spears uses to work out. But I digress...
"When I first started people would only come furtively, and not tell their boyfriends or husbands," Luo told Reuters in the apartment she has converted into a dance studio with poles bolted to the floor and roof.

"But over the last year, people have started to hear more about pole dancing, and they know it's purely for keeping fit," she added, as one of her students in black hotpants writhed around a shiny steel pole.
Huh? What was that you said just now? Something about fitness? I...uh...wasn't really listening. Something must have...distracted me.
Luo started her pole dancing school, located in a fashionable part of Beijing, last July after realizing that nobody in the city was offering classes in what had become a fashionable way to shape up and lose weight in the United States and Europe.

"Lots of girls love pole dancing, but like me could not find a place to learn. So I spent a lot of time doing research, watching DVDs," Luo said.
Ah, yes. I'm familiar with that kind of "research," too. Very familiar. Which reminds me...I have to go download some of that "research" right now.

No comments: