Thursday, February 08, 2007

Gay in the NBA

So, some guy I never heard of who used to play in the NBA for a few seasons apparently came out of the closet. What's priceless are some of the reactions from current players:
Injured Philadelphia Sixers forward Shavlik Randolph acknowledged it's a new situation.

"As long as you don't bring your gayness on me I'm fine," Randolph said. "As far as business-wise, I'm sure I could play with him. But I think it would create a little awkwardness in the locker room."
I feel the same way, Shavlik. I hate it when some dude gets his gayness on me, though I'm pretty sure you can get gayness out of your jersey with a little club soda.
News that Amaechi had come out surprised some players.

"For real? He's gay for real?" said Philadelphia center Steven Hunter. "Nowadays it's proven that people can live double lives. I watch a lot of TV, so I see a lot of sick perverted stuff about married men running around with gay guys and all types of foolishness."

Even so, Hunter said he would be fine with an openly gay teammate.
Okay, sure. Now, get ready for the inappropriate comment in three, two, one...
"As long as he don't make any advances toward me I'm fine with it," he said. "As long as he came to play basketball like a man and conducted himself like a good person, I'd be fine with it." [emphasis mine]
As opposed to him coming to play basketball like a little sissy girl, huh?

Anyway, I don't really care about what these people said, but it'll be interesting to see if anyone picks up on these remarks and demands that these guys get sent to sensitivity training. Because, honestly, if you or I got caught saying stuff like that about a co-worker who came out of the closet, we'd be punished for it in one way or another.

No comments: