Friday, February 02, 2007

Think of all the horrible mirrors

Do you enjoy exercise? Do you also enjoy exposing yourself to strangers? Well, if you live in the Netherlands, you're in luck:
Self-conscious about what you wear while working out? A Dutch gym plans to introduce "Naked Sunday" for people who like to huff and puff in the buff.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm a little more self-conscious about my nudity that about what I'm wearing while I exercise. Anyway, moving right along...
Patrick de Man, owner of Fitworld gym in the town of Heteren, said he got the idea in part from two of his customers who are avid nudists.

"I heard that some other gyms are offering courses on 'pole-dancing' as a sport, so I thought: Why not bring something new to the market?" de Man said.

He said the response had been overwhelming — positive and negative.
I could have told him that would happen. Weirdos who like to exercise with their junk hanging out would love it, while the rest of us would be a little put off by the idea. And here's why:
De Man said the first question Fitworld customers were asking was whether it would be sanitary.

Nude exercisers would be required to put towels down on weight machines and to use disposable seat covers while riding bikes. All machines would be cleaned and disinfected afterward. "We clean them every day anyway," he said.
Still, you probably couldn't pay me to work out on a weight machine or a stationary bike that had been coated with someone's crotch sweat, towel or not. But good luck with that.

No comments: