Friday, November 09, 2007

Why am I not surprised?

I'm watching a PBS show called Social Studies in Action, which seems to focus solely on the ways in which teachers can indoctrinate their students to be good little lefties. For example, there was a classroom demonstration where the students were representing various parts of the world and those regions' food resources as compared to their populations.

Suddenly, the discussion shifted to energy resources and consumption, and the teacher was asking her students if they could think of a country that had invaded another country "for oil." The kids (they appeared to be junior high students) didn't offer an answer, so she helpfully suggested: "The Persian Gulf?"

Some of the other social studies teachers suggested that their job included a responsibility to turn their students toward "activism."

I may be a quaint relic of days gone by, but when I was in high school, "social studies" included American and world history, civics (where we learned about the structure of the three branches of the federal government, and not ways in which we should protest against some of those branches which the civics teacher disagreed with), and economics. I honestly don't remember much about the latter, but I don't think it had much to do with making me feel guilty about living in a country where we have the freedom to vote and spend our money in ways which we felt were fit.

But I guess that doesn't "speak truth to power," now does it?

And would it surprise anybody that one of the classrooms highlighted was in Berkeley? It certainly didn't surprise me.

No comments: