Monday, August 25, 2008

Marketing genius

I don't know about people in Poland, but this kind of thing seems like it would be more likely to piss me off than to make me want to buy a phone:
When Apple Inc rolled out its iPhone in the United States, some fans paid big money to be among the first to get their hands on the device. In Poland, people are getting paid to line up.

"We have these fake queues at front of 20 stores around the country to drum up interest in the iPhone," a spokesman said.

As part of a marketing campaign ahead of the iPhone's Friday launch in Poland, the country's largest mobile operator Orange is paying dozens of actors to stand in queues.
Yeah, because you know what everybody likes? Waiting in line. When people see a really, really long line, they just can't wait to join in on all the line-waiting fun. That's why a visit to the DMV is always such a great, big goddamn treat. Why, I can't fucking wait to renew my driver's license.

Oh, and if you thought I was going to make a Polish joke here, you're sorely mistaken. I like to think that I'm above that kind of crass, cheap humor. That sort of thing is about as unwelcome here as, say, a screen door would be on a submarine.

No comments: