Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Michigan

So, uhhh...law enforcement officials are now saying that people should pick up complete strangers from the side of the road?
Jackson County officials say signs warning motorists not to pick up hitchhikers give the wrong impression about the area, which is home to some state prisons.

The county Board of Commissioners called Tuesday for the Michigan Department of Transportation to remove the signs, which were posted in the early 1980s.

Sheriff Dan Heyns says: "Let's roll out a welcome mat instead of signs that scare the heck out of people."
Yeah, I'm all about the hospitality, but I think I'll stick to my policy of not picking up random weirdos. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but I'd prefer not to be buried in a shallow grave somewhere out in the woods.

No comments: