Monday, March 30, 2009

In which I (gasp!) agree with a hippie

I like Jimi Hendrix. He was an amazing guitarist. But is he really the guy you want adorning the pages of your school district's new education guide? The San Francisco School District thinks so, but I don't. And I'm apparently not the only one, either:
One district employee who described himself as a "liberal hippie educator who experienced the Summer of Love in San Francisco" said he found the use of Hendrix, and his image on posters that accompany the document, disturbing.

"I find the choice of Hendrix as an inspiration to be used in an educational setting rather strange and out of touch," the employee said.
It pains me to say this, but seeing as how Hendrix died choking on his own vomit after overdosing on drugs, I agree with the liberal hippie teacher from San Francisco. Now, I'm off to pray that I never write anything like that again.

Oh, but before I do that, let me note the reaction of the district's Superintendent, Carlos Garcia, to concerns like those of the (and I'm stressing this again) liberal hippie teacher:
The superintendent shrugged off comments about the rock star's drug use.

"Hey," said Garcia. "We're in San Francisco."
I'm guessing the district's anti-drug programs (assuming they have any) ring a little hollow. Yeah.

No comments: