Thursday, September 03, 2009

All glory is fleeting

One minute, you're on top of the world. Then, in an instant, the freakish trait that has defined you for decades is snatched away from you...
A great-grandmother whose 34-inch fingernails snapped off in a car crash has revealed that the accident left her feeling like she had lost part of her identity.

However, 68-year-old Lee Redmond, of Salt Lake City, Utah, admitted it had become much easier to get around since she was robbed of her record-breaking assets.
Really? Doing things is easier without fingernails that are nearly three feet long? I never would have guessed.
Speaking publicly for the first time since the crash, she said: "Losing my fingernails has been the most dramatic thing that's happened in my life.
Yeah, I'm sure it made the birth of your children seem like a real anticlimax.

Oh, and check out this disconnect...
"The thing that bothered me with losing the fingernails was that it becomes your identity and I felt like I'd lost part of that."

"Yet I would always say when people would make comments about my fingernails, you know there's more to me than my fingernails."
Um, you spent thirty years growing them out, setting a Guinness Record for being the woman with the world's longest nails. I find it a little hard to believe that you thought people might not immediately have their attention drawn to that little detail.

But I'm sure your opinions about 18th century British literature are just fascinating. Yeah.

No comments: