Monday, April 04, 2011

Buyer beware

You know, you might want to do some research before making a big, stupid purchase:
A man who bought a used 300-foot Staten Island Ferry to convert it into a waterborne dorm for New York college students is drowning in a bad case of buyer's remorse.

Former marina owner Jacques Guillet bought the orange ferry for $162,000 at a closed-bid auction three years ago.

But he's failed to find an affordable parking spot along the area's waterfront for the 3,500-passenger boat, named the Gov. Herbert H. Lehman. The city wanted to charge him $1,000 a day.
Now, I've never been on the Staten Island Ferry, but I'm almost certain that I wouldn't want to live on it for any extended period of time.

In the meantime, I just came into some money, so I'm thinking of buying a bunch of old subway cars and stacking them up to form a cheap apartment building. What could possibly go wrong?

No comments: