Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Like a Viking

Ace has been relentless today, just beating the hell out of one of his favorite targets, Andrew Sullivan, who wrote this incredibly stupid post, basically "questioning the timing" on the UK terror bust. Sullivan writes:
I wonder if Lieberman's defeat, the resilience of Hezbollah in Lebanon, and the emergence of a Hezbollah-style government in Iraq had any bearing on the decision by Bush and Blair to pre-empt the British police and order this alleged plot disabled. I wish I didn't find these questions popping into my head. But the alternative is to trust the Bush administration.

Been there. Done that. Learned my lesson.
Well, that does it. St. Andrew of the Sacred Heart-ache has finally gone round the bend with his BDS. Of course, when people like Ace began to point out the idiocy on display here (that Tony Blair and British law enforcement would consider Joe Lieberman's defeat in a primary election as a factor in making the arrests and announcing them is patently ridiculous) Sullivan backpedaled here, falling back on the line that he was merely "asking questions," which is passive-aggressive bullshit.

Ace printed a comment of mine here, and I think what I wrote then still applies, and I'm too lazy to write something new, so I'll just copy it here:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...While it's fun to pile on "Excitable Andy," this really is a tragedy. The guy is a good writer, and he's one of the people who got me interested in reading blogs after 9/11. And I didn't even really mind when he started criticizing the way the WOT was being fought.

But then, somewhere along the line, he stopped criticizing and just started bitching about the Bush administration. And that pretty much coincided with the time where he started fixating on gay marriage as the be-all and end-all of issues. And on that specific issue, he could've made some more persuasive points (I'm open to some sort of civil unions that would give gays hospital, inheritance, etc. rights), but he seemed to view nearly everything through the prism of his own emotions.

Couple all of that with his bullshit bandwidth pledge drives and his dissembling about who he was going to endorse on his blog while he had already denounced Bush in the gay press, and you've got a lot of former fans like me. And this was way before he had any "heart-ache" about how Catholic the Pope was. I'm just glad that I've always been too poor to contribute to his European vacation fund. And didn't he promise to shut up for a while, too?

Let's be honest, Sullivan, like a lot of other guys, thinks with his dick. And that kind of thinking has turned an otherwise thoughtful commentator into a hack.
Really, I don't think that's ever been more true than right now. As someone else (I forget who) Jeff Goldstein said in the link below, he ought to just start a diary at Daily Kos.

(More here. And a classic here, where Ace gives a list of St. Andrew's greatest hissy fits.)

No comments: