Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Take the suspicious circumstances under which my wife died, please"

I've never been married even once, so it goes without saying that I've never been accused of killing one of my wives and suspected in the disappearance of another. That said, if I found myself in Drew Peterson's shoes, I don't think this is exactly the tack I'd be taking:
Drew Peterson cracked jokes live from jail on Wednesday on a Chicago radio show that he called collect. The former Bolingbrook police officer, charged in his third wife's death, offered snippets of a comedy routine on WLS-AM Radio's "Mancow & Cassidy" show.

"$20 million bond. Legal fees: tens of thousands. Being falsely accused of a homicide that didn't happen: priceless," Peterson said in a spoof of a MasterCard commercial.

Peterson, who once proposed a "Win a Date With Drew" contest, offered a jail version called "Win a Conjugal Visit with Drew." He also joked about prison showers, his legal fees and his "bling" handcuffs, saying humor is how he deals with stress.
Um, while it's been said that laughter is the best medicine, I don't think anyone has ever postulated that it's an effective legal defense.

No comments: