Saturday, December 03, 2005

What a scoop!

The New York Times has figured out that [gasp!] you can't trust everything you read on the internets. (free registration required)

You'd better sit down before I go any further. The gist of the article is that some of the information found on Wikipedia may actually be incorrect or misleading! I bet you didn't see that coming, did you?

As if your core beliefs weren't already shaken to their very foundations, the article goes on to debunk the myth that librarians (even Harvard librarians!) aren't actually the all-knowing godlike beings we'd always assumed them to be:
Jessica Baumgart, a news researcher at Harvard University, wrote that there were librarians voluntarily working behind the scenes to check information on Wikipedia. "But, honestly," she added, "in some ways, we're just as fallible as everyone else in some areas because our own knowledge is limited and we can't possibly fact-check everything."
Say it ain't so, Jessica!

I don't know about the rest of you, but it's going to be very difficult for me to get to sleep tonight, having found out that librarians are actually fallible like the rest of us mere mortals. It's like the world is crumbling around me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have now lost all faith in humanity. i am going to kill myself right after my work shift is over.