Monday, June 26, 2006

Miles to go before I roll out of my iron bed

Well, I guess you could call this a good start. But that's it.
Health officials said Manuel Uribe weighed 1,235 pounds when he made a desperate plea for help on national television in January.

Unable to leave his bed for five years, the 41-year-old mechanic in the northern industrial city of Monterrey longed to move again.

His plea was answered by doctors and nutritionists who prescribed a high-protein diet, helping him lose about 200 pounds since then.
I mean, I don't really want to belittle the guy's achievement, but he's still got quite a way to go. Because, in the scheme of things, when you weigh more than 1,200 pounds, losing a couple hundred is sort of a drop in the bucket.

1 comment:

maggie katzen said...

hmmm, my brain is more concerned with how long you have to be home bound before you're no longer associated with your occupation. shouldn't "retired" or "former" be in there somewhere?