Thursday, August 24, 2006

Auf Wiedersehen, Hitler Gaststätte*

Remember the Hitler-themed restaurant in India that I posted about the other day? Well, it looks like the owner has decided to scrap that idea.
The owner of a restaurant named after Adolf Hitler said Thursday he will change its name because it angered so many people.

Puneet Sablok said he would remove Hitler's name and the Nazi swastika from billboards and the menu. He had said the restaurant's name _ "Hitler's Cross" _ and symbols were only meant to attract attention.

Sablok made the decision after meeting with members of Bombay's small Jewish community.

"Once they told me how upset they were with the name, I decided to change it," he said. "I don't want to do business by hurting people."
I still can't believe this guy didn't realize that having a theme restaurant which was based on Nazism was, let's say, in poor taste.
Sablok said he had not yet decided on a new name.
Let's see...how about Stalin's Gulag Experience Russian Tearoom? Or perhaps a sushi joint based on Japanese atrocities in the Pacific? I can see it now: "Tojo's--a Place for Sushi."

*title courtesy of Alta Vista Babel Fish

No comments: