Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ob *hic* jesshun

Uh, counselor, maybe you should wait until after your important court date to tie one on.
A judge ordered a blood-alcohol test for a defense lawyer who was slurring his words, then declared a mistrial after declaring him too tipsy to argue a kidnapping case.

"I don't think you can tell a straight story because you are intoxicated," Clark County District Judge Michelle Leavitt told lawyer Joseph Caramango as she declared a mistrial for his client, Dale Jakuchunas.

Caramango, 41, acknowledged that he had been drinking the night before his Thursday court appearance, but maintained he was not drunk. Jakuchunas, 32, faces life in prison if convicted.

"I don't believe I've committed any ethical violation," Caramango said Tuesday, disputing the accuracy of the breath-alcohol test. "If it proved anything, it proved I was not intoxicated."

Leavitt announced Caramango had a blood-alcohol level of 0.075 percent, just under Nevada's legal blood-alcohol limit for drivers of 0.08 percent.
Now, to be fair, the guy claims to have been in a car accident on the way to court which he says gave him the latest of nine (!) concussions he's suffered over the years. I'm not really sure that if he was representing me in a case that could end up sending me to prison for life that those nine concussions would be very reassuring, though.

Anyway, I found a picture of the guy on Google images:

Care to join me in a belt of Scotch?

No comments: