Friday, February 09, 2007

Dumbass wants jail time

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so I don't eat much chocolate. Nonetheless, this annoys me:
A Dutch journalist asked an Amsterdam court on Friday to convict him for eating chocolate, saying by doing so he was benefiting from child slavery on cocoa farms in Ivory Coast.

Teun van de Keuken, 35, is seeking a jail sentence to raise consumer awareness and force the cocoa and chocolate industry to take tougher measures to stamp out child labour.

"If I am found guilty of this crime, any chocolate consumer can be prosecuted after that. I hope that people would stop buying chocolate and thus hurt the sales of big corporations and make them do something about the problem," van de Keuken said.
You know, there are other ways to raise awareness about this problem. Like, oh, I don't know...maybe writing a detailed expose about child slavery in some sort of periodical. But one would have to be some sort of journalist to make that happen, so I guess getting sent to jail for some phony-baloney crime is the only way to go.

No comments: