Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I know what I want for my birthday

Prediction: this guy is going to be a zillionaire and a hero to men everywhere:
When John Cornwell graduated from Duke University last year, he landed a job as software engineer in Atlanta but soon found himself longing for his college lifestyle. So the engineering graduate built himself a reminder of life on campus: a refrigerator that can toss a can of beer to his couch with the click of a remote control.

"I conceived it right after I got out," said Cornwell, a May 2006 graduate from Huntington, N.Y. "I missed the college scene. It embodies the college spirit that I didn't want to let go of."

It took the 22-year-old Cornwell about 150 hours and $400 in parts to modify a mini-fridge common to many college dorm rooms into the beer-tossing contraption, which can launch 10 cans of beer from its magazine before needing a reload.

With a click of the remote, fashioned from a car's keyless entry device, a small elevator inside the refrigerator lifts a beer can through a hole and loads it into the fridge's catapult arm. A second click fires the device, tossing the beer up to 20 feet _ "far enough to get to the couch," he said.
The only problem I can forsee is that there will be an epidemic of increased obesity and bedsores because a lot of guys are never going to get off the couch again if this thing goes commercial. But that's a small price to pay for the Best. Thing. Ever.

No comments: