Thursday, November 01, 2007

Web of lies

Bug bites are unpleasant, sure, but they don't lead most of us to kidnap and rape anybody:
An Australian man who kidnapped and raped a woman blamed his actions on a spider, local media reported on Thursday.

Philip Spiers pleaded guilty to the kidnap and rape, but told a court that the poison from a funnel-web spider bite had left him with a viral illness which led to his actions.

But a toxicologist told the New South Wales state District Court there was no medical evidence to suggest a spider bite could be responsible for anger and hatred.
Nope. That sort of thing is usually caused by being exposed to gamma radiation, not spider bites.

(See what I did there? I made a joke about the Incredible Hulk. And, by doing so, I also made a joke about Spiderman. You know, because he got his powers after he got bit by a spider. And he didn't rape anybody as a result. But I guess the Hulk wasn't a rapist, either, as far as I know. He just smashed things. You know, "HULK SMASH!" And then, there was that sad piano theme where Dr. Bruce Banner hitchhiked to the next episode without raping anybody, even after he had turned into a green Lou Ferrigno. Damn it, I lost where I was going with this.)

No comments: