Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What could possibly go wrong?

I know next to nothing about local politics in Oklahoma, but I'm pretty sure that this is a really bad idea:
A 19-year-old freshman at the University of Oklahoma was elected mayor Tuesday of Muskogee, a city of 38,000 in the northeastern part of the state.

With all precincts reporting, John Tyler Hammons won with 70 percent of the vote over former Mayor Hershel Ray McBride, said Muskogee County Election Board Secretary Bill Bull.

"The public placing their trust in me is the greatest, humbling and most awesome experience I've ever had in my life," said Hammons, who is from Muskogee but attends the university in Norman.

The two candidates squared off in a runoff election for the nonpartisan post after neither secured 50 percent of the vote in a six-person election April 1.

Hammons, who will be sworn in next week, said he plans to continue his college education but expects to transfer to a school closer to Muskogee.

"Being elected does not change my desire to continue my education," he said. "We will schedule our time in an appropriate fashion so that I can be mayor and stay in school."
Now, this Hammons may very well be very mature and a great guy, but I remember what I was like as a 19-year-old college freshman, and I wasn't fit to run my three man dorm room, much less a city of thousands.

I just hope there aren't any city council meetings scheduled during final exams. Too much pressure, man.

No comments: