Thursday, July 17, 2008

One of these things is not like the others

I don't know much about Northern Italian anti-immigrant groups, but I know I like Chinese food, and I haven't really got anything against kebabs, so I guess I disagree with this:
Diners hungry for Chinese carry-out or Middle Eastern kebabs in Italy could have their choices limited under a regional law proposed by the anti-immigrant Northern League on Thursday.

The League called for the Lombardy regional council to allow cities to bar from their historic centers businesses that are "incompatible with the historical context."

"For example, fast food, Chinese restaurants, kebab, sex shops are types of commercial activity that clash heavily with a 1,000-year-old historic district, as is typical of Lombard reality," Daniele Belotti, a regional councilor with the League, said in a statement.
Sex shops? Um, which immigrant group is moving into their historic city centers and opening sex shops? I'm guessing Swedes.

No comments: