Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Criminal mastermind foiled by...himself

Teenage boys are stupid. I know, because I used to be one and my friends and I did a lot of stupid shit. But back when I was a teenager, we didn't have anything like MySpace, which seems to exist mainly as a means for amplifying that stupidity:
Steven Labore, 19, and Michael Naylor, 19, were charged with stealing two monkeys, named Gwendolyn and Lucy, from a Wild World of Animals greenhouse after determining a rumor about the greenhouse containing marijuana was false, The Washington Post (NYSE:WPO) reported Wednesday.

Chad Schneider, an assistant district attorney in Washington County, Pa., said the monkeys were returned to authorities by Labore's mother and Naylor pleaded guilty to burglary, yielding a prison sentence of two to five years.

Labore, however, missed his court date in March after being freed on $20,000 bond. Schneider said Labore's MySpace page led authorities straight to him in southern Maryland.

"I just punched it in," Schneider [said]. "He had his phone number and his address, so I figured I'd go get him."
I guess it could have been worse. At least he didn't post a video of himself stealing the monkey online. But still, classic dumbass move there, seeing as how the whole point to being a fugitive is that you don't want people to find out, you know, where you are.

No comments: