Monday, June 28, 2010

Cultural sensitivity

I don't pretend to know much of anything about Australian Aboriginal culture, but this seems like it might be a tad insensitive:
A woman who performed a striptease on top of Australia's giant red rock Uluru on Sunday prompted a renewed call for people to be banned from climbing the important indigenous site, a report said.

Alizee Sery, 25, stripped down to a white bikini after climbing the central Australian monolith, formerly known as Ayers Rock, in what she described as a tribute to Aboriginal culture.

"I am aware that Uluru is sacred in their culture. My project is a tribute to the greatness of the Rock," she told the Sunday Territorian.

"What we need to remember is that traditionally, the Aboriginal people were living naked. So stripping down was a return to what it was like."
Yeah, and, again, while I stress that I know little about their culture, I'm pretty sure their ancient ways had little if anything to do with publicity-seeking whore-stunts. Ancient cultures are clearly inferior to our modern world in that way.

No comments: