Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The sporting life

I guess this makes me feel somewhat better about my horribly unhealthy lifestyle:
Some athletes fret about the Beijing smog. Others say, relax and have a cigarette.

While many Olympians meditate or listen to music to calm their pre-competition nerves, several weightlifters training in Beijing Tuesday tried to lighten up by lighting up.

"I'd say 70 out of a 100 athletes in the Olympic village smoke," said Italian weightlifter Giorgio de Luca, perhaps exaggerating a little.

The lifter, looking happy and relaxed in shorts and green flip-flops, was winding down after a gym session with a coffee and a cigarette. He cheerfully ignored the mildly disapproving glances from his coach.
Wow, maybe even I could become an Olympic athlete! I mean, if it weren't for my utter lack of strength, speed, grace, or athletic ability. But I've got the smoking part down pat.

No comments: